The ladies of Mustang Prairie love to celebrate all holidays and occasions–big and small–and a holiday totally dedicated to eating and drinking? Well they couldn’t resist coming up with a new twist on an old favorite!
Shellie: This recipe is strictly for the adult crowd! Think of it as kind of a mulled wine cranberry sauce because you’ll need much more than sugar and water for this delicious dish. Alex is on wine duty because she’s a far more competent drinker than I am but this recipe was a collaboration between me and my bestie…even if she can’t eat this yet!
Alex: You all know I think pretty much any dish can be improved upon with booze, and turkey day makes that doubly true. Who can deal with a packed house full of over-sexed senior citizens, matchmaking old ladies, a growing list of friends and Shirl, who is in a class of her own, without the aid of alcohol?
This year I have no choice but to endure it sober, which means I’m dedicated to making sure everyone else is as relaxed as possible. So, let’s get to cooking!
What you’ll need:
- 12 oz. Cranberries (rinsed & separated)
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 inch orange zest strip
- 2 tbsp. Water or Fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup Red wine (dry or table, avoid sweet red wine, this is sweet enough!)
What to do:
- Add cranberries except 1/2 cup, sugar, orange strip, water and cinnamon stick to a deep pot over low heat.
- Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved and increase the heat to about half, let the berries burst and soften and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add in reserve berries & red wine and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how soft you want them.
- Let the sauce cool before you eat it, but taste it and see if it needs more wine! Add a little at a time, you don’t want it too juicy.
- Add to bread, dressing, stuffing or whatever else floats your boat. Right now, Alex is eating it on top of French vanilla ice cream.
Get more food & cocktail recipes from the ladies of Mustang Prairie
Book 1 ~ Conflict of Interest : http://amzn.to/1SJDcyR
Book 2 ~ A Little Bit In Love : http://amzn.to/1L9772p